Thursday, May 29, 2008

things that make me smile

Lego Creations, or in general kid creativity. Daniel is into building stuff. Yes, I know it is pretty simple, and yes those are "army guys" watching a movie, but it was all his own idea. And for a week after that, he recreated it bigger and better each day.

Do you know what this is? It is Thailand's answer to anyone with a sweet tooth. So this would explain my new obsession with sweetened condensed milk. Bear with me if none of this is new to you, but this stuff tastes really good. Before moving to Thailand I thought that s.c.m. was only used to make fudge and really rich candies and desserts like that and that you weren't allowed to just eat it straight. Now my eyes have been opened to many new possibilities: on toast, in coffee (and many other drinks), as a sauce to dip fry bread in, drizzled over rotee sai mai --a fantastic Indian dessert, pancakes or french toast. And I bet you didn't know that you can boil it in it's unopened can and end up with something close to caramel! Wow! I love this stuff!


Ant Poison. There is some necessary background here. I am ok with most bugs. Even ants as long as they stay outside. But when they come in droves into my home I just about lose my sanity. Ask Pun. So when my friend bought a box of these (on clearance no less--thank you, Diana!) and gave them to me, I went back and bought every single last box. Boy, I am so glad I did. Before, when I would see the ant lines going through my house, and I have no less than 5 entry points, I would spend a great deal of time "removing" them. Sometimes I wouldn't even want to go downstairs in the morning because I was afraid of facing the ants! Now, I see them come for a few hours, eat the food, and never come back. Amazing. Now I can smile.

Lizards, Lizards, Lizards! I love them! I don't know why but I do. We have the regular "jing joks", very common and often inside homes. I have blogged before about them here. But we also have black slimey ones, and a couple other varieties that look like miniature dinosaurs, as well as geckos. Every time I see them in my yard I call my kids to come watch them with me. For awhile I was having cool lizard spottings nearly everyday. Then poof! Gone! Like they all moved away for a few months. Thankfully they have returned. Maybe they are seasonal...


And a little boy who thinks he is so funny because he got into his sister's pink chapstick.

May there be many smiles in your day today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics. No, I didn't know that you could do all those wonderful things will s.c.m! Interesting.

FYI...we have had ants by the droves this year too. If you run out of traps, try chalk. If you draw a chalk line where the ant line is, they won't cross it. I was desperate. We were having a bunch of people over and I was embarrassed to see the ants tromping across my kitchen counter so I tried the chalk line and they wouldn't cross it. I was so glad to keep them off my counter!

Merri said...

Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your news. Daniel is so creative and cute!
I didn't know you could do all that with s.c.m. I'll have to try it sometime. They have chocolate flavor here as well. That should be even better.
Glad you were able to take care of your ant problem.
Love,
Mom

 
Designed by Lena