Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Did It!

It is 10:48 a.m. and I am not typically blogging at this hour, but I just had to tell you -- I did it! I have pressed forward in yet another area of dread and fear on to greater freedom and independence! You ask what area is this?? Well, driving of course!

Pun is leaving for the entire weekend, as in we won't see him after he leaves the house Friday early a.m. until Monday sometime, which leaves me alone in a foreign land with my 3 very young children. So I need to be prepared. We could order out McDonalds everyday (yes, they deliver here--amazing, huh?). But I would like to do a better job than that, and since we have been on vacation all of last week, our cupboards are pretty bare. And since P' Gate, my inlaws maid, graciously helps us every Thursday and she was willing to watch the kids, I decided that today was the day.

So you know, the grocery store is less than 2 miles. No big feat, but I did it!

Yeah for me!

I told Helen that I was going to the store this morning. The topic of mom being unable to drive is an ongoing one for my toddlers. Her question was, of course, how was I going to get there. Was I going to walk? "No, I am going to drive." Utter shock on her face. Her advice to me? "Mom, make sure you don't bump anyone, or else they will bump you!"

Thanks, Helen.

6 comments:

Laurel said...

Yay Merri!

Jill said...

Way to go, Merri :)! Congratulations. And, okay...McDonald's delivers -- that would be a dangerous thing for me :) Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you! I'm not sure I would have been that brave. Would love to have seen Helen's face:)
Love,
Mom

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Wow, I'm loving getting to know you here on your blog - thanks for visiting me! I wonder if drivers there are similar to the ones in Mexico (I spent a few years there growing up)? If so, driving is quite a feat! Congratulations!
Love,
Katherine

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!! Were you shaking when you arrived at the store?

I'm sure the next time will be easier.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pun & Merri,
Wayne & I have been following your adventures from day one and didn't realize we could comment until your Mom told me how!!! Keep up the good work! We are so happy for you that you are embracing your new life after the many adjustments that you have had to make (including the occasional visit from the local critters). We Love & Miss You!!

 
Designed by Lena